Welcome.
Let me start at the beginning.
Naples, Italy. 1980.
I crawled out of my mom's vagina with the soul of someone who died approximately 15 months earlier. Shortly after this, I started drawing. I did this to distract myself from whatever else was going on, usually school. There was this one time in class, early grades, a girl sitting in front of me turned around and suggested that I colored all in the same direction. I ignored her. She repeated herself, with a bit of a snide and scoldish attitude. I remained steadfast in my resolve.
30 years later, my drawings are still a bit shaky. But that's ok, cuz I like them.
However, that's not to say she's wrong or right. Should or not should not be ignored. I just felt that things like art are to be explored in any way possible. And particularly from one's point-of-view. Obviously, to not be affected by outside sources is impossible. So learn what's to learn. Keep what works. Invent the rest.
Basically, this is how my elementary age avatar should have replied. “Coloring all in one direction is a choice of aesthetics that I do not care to employ. I thank you for your input, but I think I will meander instead and see where that will lead me.”
So here I am thus far,
Alan J
Virginia Beach, Virginia. 2012.
No comments:
Post a Comment